RONALD E. MYERS, Ph.
Ph.D. Inorganic Chemist. Thirty years experience in corporate R&D and independent consulting. Synthesis, formulation and characterization of high performance materials and specialty coatings. Supervised and conducted research on: preceramic polymers, chemical mechanical planarization (CMP) slurries, nanotechnology and microelectromechanical systems (MEMS), carbon black-based field emitter formulations, thermally conducting materials, polysilazoxanes, corrosion-resistant inorganic coatings, phosphate bonding/coating compositions, high temperature carbon-carbon composites, electrically conducting polymers, flame retardants, specialty glasses and ceramics, polyphosphazenes, inorganic-organic polymers, main group and transition metal compounds. Inventor/co-inventor 14 U.S. patents, additional patents pending. Author/co-author of more than 20 journal publications and conference papers.
- Served as team leader and principal investigator for environmentally compliant coatings program in support of $100 million inorganic
coatings business of Sermatech International Inc. Resulted in commercialization of SermeTel Process 2000, a patented series of chromate-free, aluminum-ceramic, corrosion-resistant coatings currently used worldwide on power-generating and turbomachinery components.
- Developed chromate-free surface treatments and conversion coatings for ferrous and non-ferrous substrates. Trade-secret formulations are in commercial use as key components of aluminum-ceramic, corrosion-resistant coatings.
- Developed slurries for CMP of polymers, metals, and ceramics for MEMS and nanotechnology applications; Several U.S. and foreign patents pending. Co-authored five CMP/MEMS-related journal publications and conference papers.
- Developed high performance, thermally conducting interface materials for computer and electronic applications; resulted in commercial products.
- Provided internal consulting to perchlorate-based, electrochemical machining and aerospace component manufacturer. Resulted in major improvements impacting worker safety, electrolyte efficiency and process optimization.
- Invented series of high char, Si-C-O-N preceramic polymers having utility as high temperature, oxidation-resistant coatings for carbon-carbon composites. Patented technology instrumental in awarding of $250K NASA contract to The B.F. Goodrich Company.
- Invented high char, inorganic-modified, phenolic resins having use as matrix and densification resins for oxidation-resistant, carbon-carbon composites.
- Served as technical liaison in high temperature composites joint venture involving The B.F. Goodrich Company and Ethyl Corporation. Coordinated R&D evaluation of preceramic polymers.
- Invented series of pyrrole-based, electrically conducting polymers and polymer blends for use in anti-static packaging, EMI shielding and electro-optics.
- Developed in-situ polymerization process using conducting polymers as means to convert insulating substrates to electrical conductors. Patented process has utility for lightweight heating elements, aircraft de-icing systems and electro-optics applications.
- Invented low-cost inorganic, intumescent, flame and smoke retardant additives having effectiveness in variety of organic polymers.
- Contributed to development of carbon black/polymer-based field emitter formulations for flat panel display applications; U.S. and foreign patents pending.
Microelectronics Corporation; Aurora, IL
Scientist; New Business Team; CMP, Nanotechnology R&D)
Inc.; Cleveland, OH
(R&D Chemist; Thermally Conducting Materials, Highly-filled
International, Inc.; Limerick, PA
Inorganic Chemist/Project Leader; Chromate-Free Coatings)
Consulting Services; Strongsville, OH
Consultant; Inorganic Chemistry, Polymers, Coatings)
B. F. Goodrich Company; Brecksville, OH
(Senior Research Associate; Corporate Research Division)
Inorganic Chemistry; Purdue University
Chemistry; Gettysburg College
American Institute of Chemists (Fellow), American Chemical Society (Polymers, Inorganic Divisions), American Ceramic Society, ASM International, NACE International, Sigma Xi, Chemical Consultants Network, Vice President's Technical Impact Award (1997, Sermatech International, Inc.), Judged R&D 100 Awards (1996), Who's Who in Science and Engineering, International Men of Achievement, Who's Who in America, 2005 Gettysburg College Distinguished Alumni Award.